Saturday, June 06, 2009

Sense of belonging

I've been leaving in Subang Jaya, practically my whole life. My family (then it was only Mak, Ayah, Izad and me) moved to Subang Jaya from Kg Pandan when I was 5/6 years old.

I went to a pre-school in SS19, and 6 years of primary education in Sek Ren Keb Subang Jaya in SS14/5. I did also attend religious school, Sek Agama Masjid Darul Ehsan in SS15 near the local masjid.

Then, I went to JB for my secondary education and later my tertiary in UTM Skudai. I think that it was when I lost my sense of belonging towards Subang Jaya. I've left behind my friends from my early years in school. I have close friends then, but now as if we are total strangers. I was able to track back my old friends via Facebook and Friendster, but browsing through their pages, I can't get myself connected to them even we've been together in the same class for 6 years.

Perhaps, I'm being a bit emotional about this (as always), but I suppose I'm not the only one. Then again, I was the one who moved away (went to boarding school, etc), and I can still call Subang Jaya as my hometown. I wonder how others feel, for those who practically never reside in one place in such a long time. Constantly having to change schools, make new friends. However, I believe everyone of us has his/her own sense of belonging. If you ask me, I would say Subang Jaya and JB as both of these places were where I grew up, mature and learn about life.

And now, I'm going to add other places to the list; Oxford and Ajil, Terengganu. As an old saying; Jauh perjalanan, luas pandangan. :)

2 comments:

fazilah:g said...

Sama lah aku pun . :P

umiM said...

thanks for reminding me of my first school!we should go back together one sweet day..