Monday, October 13, 2008

My Atok Bak

Assalamualaikum wbt

I have such wonderful grandparents both from my Mak & Ayah's sides; however, I hardly had the chance to see my Tok Wan & Tok (Mak's parents) often as Mak's hometown is in Ayer Itam, Kedah and Ayah's in Pontian, Johor (yup, I've riden from Bkt Kayu Hitam up north to Johor Bahru down south and I once can even name all the R&R in PLUS highway, how freaky is that?!). The best memories that I had with both my late Tok Wan & Tok, was when Mak & Ayah were away in Makkah to perform Hajj back in 1990. Tok Wan was originally from Siak, North Sumatera and he came to Kedah to pursue his dream of a better life. With only 25 rupiah in his pocket, he worked his hardest in paddy fields and attended local religious school (sekolah pondok) at the same time. Through hardship and perseverence, he managed to own a mini-market and even bought few 'relung' of paddy fields. Tok was the only grandmother I've known as Mak's biological mother passed away years before due to child birth, but Tok was never a 'stepmother' to Mak.

As for Ayah's parents, Tok Bak & Tok Mak have been always the closer grandparents as they occasionally come to KL (once in one or two months) for visits, but as both of them got older, Ayah advised them not to take the bus from Pontian to Puduraya anymore, instead we'll visit them in Pontian. Tok Bak is a retired policeman, and Tok Mak is a full-time housewife. Tok Bak is a strict father but a very jovial grandfather. He even taught us simple mathematics when we were young and used to tell us horror stories during our nights in Pontian. Tok Mak is such a loving grandmother to her (almost) 40 grandchildren. She will laugh to all Ayah's slapstick jokes even no one else might not find them funny at all (no offense Ayah, :)).

I've lost Tok Wan & Tok years ago, and still I miss them. And now, I've lost Tok Bak just 2 days ago due to breathing complication and old age. I received a phone call from Mak (crying at the other end, as Tok Bak was the only father that she still have) at 6.07am (UK time) informing me a rather bad news about Tok Bak. I cried (still am while writing this entry) instantenously when I heard the news, but deep down I knew it was already the time for him to go as he gradually became more and more ill each day.

I pray to Allah to grant Tok Bak forgiveness and better life in hereafter. Tok Bak, you'll always be loved and remembered by us as long as we shall live.


Al-Fatihah.

3 comments:

Dr. Sepet said...

"Dari Allah kita datang, dan kepada Allah kita kan kembali"

Bertabahlah,

Namun yang baiknya kita sebagai anak/cucu yang masih hidup, inilah peluang untuk terus sedekahkan doa, amal jariah buat arwah Tok Bak.

Moga niat kita, doa dan pahala dari sedekah jariah atas nama arwah diterima dan dikurnia ganjaran pahala oleh Allah.

Al-Fatihah.

Anonymous said...

al-fatihah.. dan takziah

Nadwah said...

innalillah..
takziah buat keluarga arwah..
bila berjauhan mcm ni..makin sebak bila berseorangan & xdpt mziarahi pusara..hanya doa & amal yg boleh disedekahkn..smoga roh arwah berada dikalangan yg beriman..