Sunday, January 15, 2012

PCOS

Like most mornings, after Subuh, I will log into Facebook. Most of the time, I have maybe 2-3 notifications, but today none. However, I found a rather 'interesting' wall post on a 'magic cream' which can help with PCOS, period irregularity and infertility. Hence, this wall post and this blog entry;


I had problems with my period since my early teens, and it became worse when I reached 20 years old, which led to a meeting with the GP. The doctor prescribed me with a 'drug' which would help with my period. The medication helped, but it also came with drastic weight gain. That was then. Apparently, my period became normal again for the next 5 years. I had the problem again when I reached 25, but this time I refuse to go to the GP and decided just to deal with it without doing anything about it. Then I got married at 26, and obviously we wanted to have kids as soon as possible. At that point, my period only come every 4-6 months. Finally, I decided to seek professional help. I didn't want to face the long waiting list in government hospitals, so I went for Pusrawi Jalan Tun Razak. I went to the appointment counter, and asked if I can make an appointment with any female OB/GYN in the hospital. They recommended Dr Adilah Ahmat, and booked my first appointment on the following week.


On the day, I had to wait for 4 hours for my appointment. I found out that Dr Adilah had almost 30 appointments just for that morning, and I was the 26th to check-in (I came at 9am as my appointment was at 10am, but apparently it didn't mean anything, as other patients were already there as early as 7.30). I discussed my problems with her, and she did a quick scan and almost immediately,I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). She booked me another appointment (longer session) to do further examination. On my next appointment, she did another scan, and she confirmed that it is PCOS, and then we talked about the best way to alleviate the problem. She recommended laparoscopic procedure called "ovarian drilling", and that was in February 2008, which meant nothing if I didn't have to fly to UK on the following month for my PhD. Hence, she booked me the next available 'surgery' which was Tuesday of the following week. 


The surgery went well (they even provide me with the video recording), and I had to go for 2 more appointments before my flight. I also had to go for a scan to determine whether there is any other complication and was prescribed Clomiphene to help with ovulation. On my second cycle after the surgery, I was pregnant with Mawaddah. Alhamdulillah. Allah has answered our prayers and blessed us with a healthy child.


Since I had Mawaddah, my period cycle is now normal and regular as it should be. Alhamdulillah.


I am no expert, and that was why I went to the people who ARE the experts. I just hate and disgusted by the idea of 'magic' creams/pills without any suggestions to seek professional help before you opt for so-called 'magic' solution. Personally, I would rather spend my money on a medically-certified procedure conducted by people who actually know what they are doing than some cream/pill promoted by people who don't have the slightest idea on what they are selling/promoting. 

I hope this entry will help those who are facing the same problem as I was. Insya-Allah. To others, I hope you will do the right thing when you have any form of medical/health problems. 

Till next entry. 

1 comment:

fiezachommel said...

Yea betul I pun ada experience ni.Skang monitoring my period cyle...takut berulang